A career in the skilled trades is not only rewarding but also a lucrative option with a promising future. Whether you are just starting out in the job market or are looking for a career change, here are FIVE reasons why you should consider the trades for your career path:

  1. It’s all about the demand

The world is constantly growing and changing, but as long as there are still brick and mortar the trades are always going to be needed. That means job security and opportunity will continue to abound. With the older generation of ‘Boomers’ retiring, job opportunities for ‘Millenials’ and ‘Gen Z’s’ are continuing to grow, with high-paying positions opening up at an increasing pace.

  1. Earn while you learn

In school, we are often pushed towards a University path, but the reality is that is NOT the only way to a successful career. Not to mention the mounds of debt most students are left with afterward. When entering the trades, you will experience real on-the-job training while earning a paycheck. This is done through an apprenticeship where you will learn in a hands-on environment from mentors who are successful in their craft. About 80% of your training will be work-based, with the remaining 20% completed in a classroom setting.

  1. Get to your career faster

Training for a job in the trades takes about half the time compared to traditional post-secondary programs. Not only will you be making money during the process, but you will also be ready to join the workforce in a shorter amount of time. It’s a much more affordable option. If you don’t have the means to pay high tuition fees for a full four-year program, you can receive a highly reliable and exciting education, and start a lifelong career in the skilled trades. It’s a win-win, no matter how you look at it!

  1. Advancement opportunities abound

While you will need to start out at the bottom, careers in the trades offer a range of opportunities to advance and grow. With time, training, and hard work, you can become a master in your craft as you advance to jobs with more responsibilities. It’s up to you if you specialize in one trade or learn multiple skills. In the amount of time it takes to complete a typical bachelor’s degree, you can be certified in an array of disciplines. Whether you want to work your way to a larger corporation or start your own business, the sky is the limit once your training is complete.

  1. Earn big

The size of your potential salary is a big factor when choosing a career that fits your lifestyle. The skilled trades have a reliable reputation for a high earning potential with a steady income. Choosing to specialize in multiple trades will provide further options for even more opportunities to pull in a good-sized paycheque. The more skills you have, the more you can earn…and the easier it will be to find long-lasting employment.

At OGWEHOWEH Skills and Trades Training Centre, we specialize in trades training, education, and professional development. We help apprentices become employable and empowered to join the workforce in an exciting career they can be proud of!